Looks like this is on the menu for Sunday dinner this week. We were looking for a good make ahead meal that we could just pop in the oven right before dinner time. This mac & cheese recipe is a must have. I did some research and tried a few and this recipe is my favorite to date.
I like to toss in some cubed ham before topping with toasted bread crumbs & baking.
This is my “go to” mac & cheese recipe! I may add roasted cauliflower this time.
- 1 pound of corkscrew pasta
- 4 cups good cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1 1/4 stick of butter
- 8 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 Package cubed cooked ham
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook pasta to al dente according to instructions on the package.
- Drain & set aside
- Preheat oven to 400
- Melt one stick of butter is a sauce pan. Whisk in the flour. Keep whisking over medium heat for a minute or so to cook out the flour flavor.
- Slowly whisk in the milk & cream over medium high heat. Bring to a bubble (stirring constantly) until thickened.
- Slowly blend in the cheese and stir constantly until melted.
- Fold in cooked pasta & ham.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish
- Toss breadcrumbs in 1/2 stick melted butter in a saute pan & toast.
- Cover pasta with breadcrumbs.
- Bake until the top is browned.
Questions, comments or suggestions? Leave a comment here or follow us on Facebook and comment there!