See what’s going on in the Glens Falls region this weekend, including a couple of new events, and three newsy tidbits to know, such as a major expansion of a local business.
Your Exciting Events to Check Out This Weekend & Beyond
It’s getting tough to narrow down which events to feature each week, and more and more fun happenings are added to the events calendar every day!
Here’s some of the upcoming action:
- Fall in Christmas Craft Fair in South Glens Falls: October 9
- 15th Annual Cruise-in Stiles Car Show in Argyle: October 9
- Oktoberfest for Kids at the World Awareness Children’s Museum: October 9
- Pumpkin Carving & Ghost Tour at the Old Fort House Museum: October 9
- Billy Bob’s Orchard Applefest: October 9 & 10
- Thistle Downs Farm Fall Festival Days: October 9 & 10
- 20th Annual Landscapes for Landsake Art Sale & Exhibition in Cambridge: October 9 & 10
- Columbus Day Town-wide Garage Sale in Argyle: October 9 & 10
- 1st-Ever 5K Thunder Run at the Cool Insuring Arena: October 10
- Lake George Oktoberfest & Fall Festival: through October 10
- 1st-Ever Renaissance Festival in Fort Ann: through October 10
- Monuments to the American Revolution at the Chapman Museum: October 13
- Free Second Thursday at The Hyde: October 14
- 6th Annual Adirondack Film Festival: October 14 – 17
3 Things to Know This Week Around Glens Falls
Goin’ to the Movies – At the Chapman!
Viewing films at home can be nice, but there is something special and nostalgic about actually going to the movies, and the Chapman Museum is bringing back this magic. Their new exhibit, “Now Showing: From Nickelodeons to Drive-Ins” starts October 14.
Historic photos and ads document local movie houses along with personal accounts of past movie theater employees and more, including clips from a 1921 movie produced by a woman with Glens Falls ties. This exhibit will run through March 2022.
In addition, the Chapman is offering three upcoming movie nights at the museum: Little Shop of Horrors (1960) on October 20, Gulliver’s Travels (1939) on November 17, and It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) on December 15. Mark your calendars!
Massive Expansion Planned at The Queensbury Hotel
The Queensbury Hotel will undergo a 5,200-square-foot expansion project that includes a revamp and enlargement of the Adirondack Room, a new patio space, and a new state-of-the-art kitchen.
Currently, the Adirondack Room can accommodate weddings and events for about 200 people; once expanded, the hotel could host a plated sit-down dinner with 400 to 450 people, and up to 700 for a reception or gala with no plated dinner.
The exterior work is expected to be completed by the end of December, with interior work to begin after January 1, and a reopening plan of June 2022.
The Return of the Rodeo to Glens Falls
The Adirondack Stampede Rodeo will return to the Cool Insuring Arena for the event’s 30th anniversary on November 5 and 6. Attendees can expect professional bull riding, saddle bronc riding, barrel racing, and more from prime cowboys and cowgirls from around the country. Tickets start at $20 for adults.
- The Glens Falls Chronicle (print edition): Qby. Hotel will break ground: Adk. Ballroom expansion; still eye rooftop bar