Did you hear the news? The Adirondack Thunder will return this fall! Find out the exact date and see what else is going on in the Glens Falls region, including St. Patrick’s Day fun.
News to Know About: Hockey, Bread, Dancing & Glamping
Hockey Is Set to Return to Glens Falls This Fall
The Adirondack Thunder has announced their Home Opener for Saturday, October 23, at the Cool Insuring Arena. They’ll play against the Newfoundland Growlers. This is particularly exciting since the team had decided to opt out of the 2020 to 2021 season.
“We know our fan base and community has suffered this winter without Thunder hockey,” Team President Jeff Mead said in a statement. “We are forever grateful to our fans, corporate partners, and community that has helped support us during this difficult time.”
Cool Insuring Arena Will Keep Name for Now
Speaking of the Cool Insuring Arena, Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. acquired the Cool Insuring Agency last December. The firm has announced that the Cool Insuring Arena name will remain as such through at least 2025.
The Cool Insuring Arena got its name in July of 2017; many locals still think of it as the Glens Falls Civic Center.
Help Rock Hill Bakehouse & Cafe Keep Rocking On
Remember when Rock Hill Bakehouse & Cafe started giving away bread to anyone who needed it in the community? They’re still doing that, and recently posted an update on how we can help them in their mission (as customers constantly ask them).
As a way to directly support the Glens Falls region, they recommend folks visit the Warren-Hamilton Community Action Agency’s website at wahacaa.org and click on “donate,” to give what you can. Rock Hill Bakehouse donates monthly to the organization.
This community-minded restaurant was recently featured in Saveur, where owner Matt Funiciello was quoted as saying, “Nothing is more basic to the human experience than a loaf of bread.”
A New Restaurant Coming to Bolton Landing This Summer
Nationally known mixologist Richard Boccato, his wife Patricia Boccato, and Farmer & Sons operators Kirby Farmer and his wife Kristan Keck are joining forces this summer to open a new restaurant in Bolton Landing that will be called The Gem. The four will also own a liquor store next door.
The Gem’s name is in reference to the Lake George islands of Gem and Little Gem which are near Bolton Landing. The liquor store will be open on May 1, and the restaurant will open later in the season.
A South High Marathon Dance Update
The Glens Falls Chronicle reported that the highly anticipated South High Marathon Dance is looking at three different options for their major fundraising event this year: Holding a parade or walkathon in South Glens Falls, taking over the whole school and parking lot, or moving the marathon to the Great Escape.
Regardless of what organizers decide on for the location, they have already gone on record as saying there will be no dancing.
There’s a Major Merger in Lake George!
This is exciting: According to the Lake George Mirror the Lake George Association (LGA) and The Fund for Lake George plan to merge. This will effectively make them the “single largest, best-financed lake protection and advocacy organization in the US.” Wow!
Glamping May Return to the Warren County Fairgrounds
Glamp ADK is negotiating a contract with Warren County to use the fairgrounds in Warrensburg for glamping, reports The Post Star. Adirondack Safari had previously offered upscale camping at this location from 2017 to 2019.
A Couple Queensbury Businesses Opening or Reopening Soon
A few quick updates here…
- The Fun Spot: Roller skating, the playground, and laser tag are currently open; the arcade, Ninja Challenge Course, and Virtual Reality Experience will open March 26.
- The Sky Zone: They will open their doors back up on April 2!
Upcoming Events, Including St. Patrick’s Day Fun
Here’s what’s coming up:
- Job Fair at Toadflax Nursery: March 11
- St. Patrick’s Day at Adirondack Winery: March 12 – 17
- Maple Festival at Up Yonda Farm: March 13
- Opening Day at Martha’s Dandee Creme: March 13
- Kids St. Patrick’s Day Rainbows: March 13
- St. Patty’s Day Slime: March 14
- Springtime Slime Lab: March 15
- Drive-Thru Food Pantry at Great Escape: March 15
- St. Patrick’s Day Dinner & A Movie: March 17
- Winter Meltdown Spicy Food Day: March 20
- Beautmont Enterprise: NYC mixologist, Hudson restauranteurs expanding to Bolton Landing
- The Glens Falls Business Journal: Cool Insurance Purchased By Company; Downtown Arena Will Retain Its Name
- The Glens Falls Chronicle (print edition): Marathon Dance won’t be a dance this year; eye 3 ‘event’ options
- The Lake George Mirror: LGA and Fund to Merge into One “Preeminent Lake Protector”
- Saveur.com: He Used to Bake Bread for 3-Star Restaurants. Now He’s Feeding His Neighbors for Free