Halloween weekend is nearly upon us! Find out the latest on what festive events are taking place, get two restaurant updates for South Street in Glens Falls, and help out a local fundraiser.
A Halloween Paint & Sip for Kids, Haunted Barn, Hocus Pocus Showing & More
We’re all excited for Glens Falls’ quintessential Halloween event, Boo 2 You, but there’s much more to check out too:
- Glens Falls Center Halloween Community Parade: October 28
- Free Showing of Hocus Pocus at The Strand: October 28
- Haunted Barn Day 3 at Little Theater on the Farm: October 29
- 10th Annual Baskets for Ben at the Queensbury VFW: October 29
- Pulled Pork Drive-Thru BBQ at Queensbury Senior Center: October 29
- Fright Fest at Great Escape: October 29 – 31
- Bowl for Kids Sake at Kingpin’s Alley Family Fun Center: October 29 – 31
- Boo 2 You: October 30
- Phantom of the Opera Screening at The Park Theater: October 30
- Haunted Barn Day 4 at Little Theater on the Farm: October 30
- Halloween Paint & Sip at World Awareness Children’s Museum: October 30*
- Adirondack Thunder VS Reading Royals: October 30
- Halloween Bash at Downtown Social: October 30 & 31
- First-Ever Warren County Sheriff’s Office Trunk or Treat: October 31
*Also, if your child visits WACM on October 31 in costume they get $2 off admission!
Boo 2 You, Halloween House Contest, Restaurant News & More
Free Trolley Rides & More to Know for Boo 2 You This Saturday
The Glens Falls Collaborative has been rolling out the details on Boo 2 You, scheduled for Saturday, October 30. Unlike prior years, the event will take place in City Park. Guests can expect 20 candy and non-candy treat stations, a kids Fun Zone with crafts and games, Halloween music in the park bandstand, spooky dance performances, and costumed characters ready to pose for photos.
In addition, the Greater Glens Falls Transit is offering free trolley and bus rides along their regular routes to any child wearing a costume between 1:30pm and 4:30pm the day of the event.
Also, the winner the Halloween House Contest will be announced at the event, at 3:50pm at the bandstand. You have until Friday the 29th to vote: https://glensfallscollaborative.com/halloween-house/
Some Exciting Restaurant News on South Street
Raul’s Mexican Grill owner Russ Porreca has purchased the former Dizzy Chicken space at 72 South Street. The plan is for Raul’s to remain at its current 164 Glen Street location until the lease runs out in 2023, then the popular Mexican restaurant will make its move.
Also on South Street, Mia Ashanti Anderson and her husband Cordero plan to open a Puerto Rican restaurant and bakery. The couple will lease 58 South Street, former home of the Irish Pub. Bella Lyn’s Bakery & Cafe does not yet have an open date, but the City planning board will review the project on November 2.
Underwood Park Crossfit Raises Thousands for Breast Cancer
The Fort Edward-based Underwood Park Crossfit, owned by local married couple Michael Plank and Lauren Grogan, recently raised $5,000 for the Barbells for Boobs campaign. As of this writing, they’ve raised $5,523, and are hoping to make it to $7,000.
Doctors once told breast cancer survivors that they could never again lift more than 5 pounds, for fear of infection or injury causing lymphedema (a painful complication from cancer related surgery). But the BFB program guides survivors into getting back out there safely.
“BFB provides survivors with all kinds of support, including access to the latest research,” UPCF member Aimee Majoros said in a statement. “I now know that gradual weight training and other forms of weight bearing exercise are safe and healthy for us.”
You can read more and donate here: https://campaign.forboobs.org/team/380484