It’s the last weekend of the Lake George Winter Carnival, there’s a great comedian at the Park Theater tomorrow evening, a major basketball tournament is about to start at the Cool Insuring Arena, and more. Get your Glens Falls region happenings below!
Editor’s note 02/25/22 9:30am: Unfortunately, Fire & Ice has been cancelled for a fourth time due to the snowstorm. There isn’t a enough crew to plow snow and clear the heavy snowfall on the ice.
Upcoming Events Happening Today Through Early March
Here’s what’s going on:
- Snowshoe at Meadowbrook Preserve: February 24
- Fire & Ice at Crandall Pond: February 25
- Comedy After Dark at The Park Theater – Casey James Salengo: February 25
- Adirondack Thunder VS Maine Mariners: February 25
- Fishing Derby in Whitehall to Benefit Whitehall Backpack Program: February 26
- Winter Birding Walk in Cambridge: February 26
- Adirondack Thunder VS Maine Mariners: February 26
- Lake George Winter Carnival – Weekend 4: February 26 & 27
- Lake George Area Ice Fishing Challenge: through February 28
- Section II High School Boys Basketball Tournament at the Cool Insuring Arena: February 28 – March 5
- Family Craft Program at The Chapman – DIY Vegetable Starts: March 2
- Lake George Winterfest: through March 11
4 Quick News Tidbits to Check Out This Week
The Open Door Mission Welcomes a New Director
Kim Cook has been a strong presence in the Glens Falls community for many years, having been President and CEO of the Open Door Mission since 2013. She was responsible for starting the Code Blue Shelter program, and has taken the lead in fundraising millions of dollars in local and national funding for the homeless shelter and their services. In a recent Facebook post the Open Door welcomed new Executive Director, Dean C. Brown.
There’s a New Store at Aviation Mall
Aviation Mall recently introduced MG Sales, now open and located across from the movie theater. The store sells overstock, close-out, and discontinued items, including housewares, electronics, furniture, and toys.
Sam’s Diner Closing After Nearly 7 Decades
Sam’s Diner, a Glens Falls staple for nearly seven decades, is closing the business; it’s been under its current ownership for 20 years. Their last day is tomorrow, February 25, and they’ll be open at their 23 Dix Avenue location from 7:30am to 1:30pm.
Takeout Made a Tad Easier at Fenimore’s Pub
Although Sam’s won’t be with us much longer, Fenimore’s Pub at The Queensbury Hotel has some good news: online ordering is now available through their website. One of their burgers or hearty sandwiches might really hit the spot this weekend as the snow comes down!
- Foothills Business Daily: Open Door Mission has new director