Find out how to (safely) celebrate St. Patrick’s Day today through the weekend, see other events going on with maple fun and the major basketball tournament that starts tomorrow, and catch up on some quick Glens Falls news.
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, Attend a Basketball or Hockey Game & More
Here’s what’s happening:
- St. Patrick’s Day at Davidson Brothers: March 17
- St. Patrick’s Day at The Grateful Den With Kelly & Son: March 17
- Opening Day at Rob & Deb’s Frozen Dreams: March 18
- NYSPHSAA Boys Basketball Championships: March 18 – 20
- Thurman Maple Days – Weekend 2: March 19 & 20
- Chowder Tour & Fest in Saratoga: March 19 – 26
- Glens Falls Symphony – Journey to Prague: March 20
- Kids Workshop at WACM Inspired by Georgia O’Keefe: March 21
- Volunteer Literacy Tutor Training at SUNY Adirondack: March 22
- Adirondack Thunder VS Newfoundland Growlers: March 23
- Fly Tying & Fly Fishing Basics at SUNY Adirondack: March 24
Note: The Winter Meltdown Spicy Food Festival has been rescheduled from this Saturday to next.
Get Your Local News Around Glens Falls
Warren County Wants You to Celebrate Responsibly
Warren County is expecting a lot of St. Patrick’s Day celebrations this year, as people become more comfortable getting out and socializing. There is a new cellphone app to help you plan ahead and be safe this year called, “Have a Plan.” Download it, or otherwise count on a sober designated driver (as in, they’ve had zero alcohol) or an Uber/Lyft or taxi.
Owner of Common Roots Buys One of the Oldest Buildings in Glens Falls
The building at 56 Glen Street is believed to have been built in the 1830s, and was one of few that survived the great fire of 1864, and it was just sold. Christian and Melanie (Fronhofer) Weber purchased the building on March 11 for $165,000, according to the Foothills Business Daily.
Christian owns Common Roots Brewing Company in South Glens Falls. So far, they’re taking their time fixing it up, and are open to ideas on what to do with the space.
Glens Falls Symphony Raises Funds for Ukraine Musicians
The Glens Falls Symphony has recently started a Ukraine Musician’s Fund, to support fellow music professionals in the country as well as their families. The money is going towards cash cards for the purchase of food and fuel, as distributed by their sister orchestra in Kharkiv. So far, over $6,000 has been raised. You can donate here.
Grade School Girls Are on the Run in Salem
Girls on the Run (GOTR) is a national nonprofit dedicated to strengthening the social, emotional, physical, and behavioral life skills of girls in grades 3 through 8. Now, Salem is one of approximately 12,000 GOTR locations, and their program consists of 16 girls ranging from 3rd to 5th grade. The season ends with a non-competitive 5K event.
GOTR began in 1996, and Salem hosted the program for several seasons about a decade ago, so organizers are thrilled to have it back. To sign your child up or find out more, check GOTRCR.org and select Salem22 at the check-out. Acceptance is based on a lottery system.