There’s a lot to know in the Glens Falls area this week, such as a business closure, the relocation of another company, info sessions coming on the Market Street project, and more, including a slew of upcoming events.
Food Trucks, Fridays at the Lake & More Events in the Glens Falls Region
This week, the Fridays at the Lake series starts in Lake George, the Chapman Museum brings back their downtown walking tours, and more:
- Thursday Market & Food Truck Corral at The Shirt Factory: June 9 (and other dates)
- Downtown Glens Falls Guided Walking Tour: June 10 (and other dates)
- Slickfin Brewing Co.’s 80s Summer Bash: June 10
- Food Truck Fridays at the Washington County Fair: June 10
- Fridays at the Lake – EB Jeb & Blue Moon: June 10
- Glens Falls Dragons VS Albany Dutchmen: June 10
- Queensbury Senior Citizens Golf Tournament: June 10
- Plant Sale, Flag Day Celebration & WashCo Band Concert at Parks-Bentley Place: June 11
- Free Day at the World Awareness Children’s Museum: June 11
- The Heart of Whitehall Festival & Fireworks: June 11
- Americade in Lake George: through June 11
- Glens Falls Dragons VS Watertown Rapids: June 12
- Glens Falls Dragons VS Adirondack Trail Blazers: June 13
- Crandall Library’s Books on Carts in the Park: June 15 (and other dates)
- Adirondack Theatre Festival – The Chinese Lady: June 15 – 19
Please note, the Feeder Canal Canoe/Kayak Race & Recreational Paddle, initially scheduled for this weekend, has been postponed to a yet-to-be-determined date due to low water levels.
Business Updates, The Downtown Market Center Project & More Glens Falls News to Know
Hallwear Set Up at Their Temporary Shirt Factory Location
Hallwear of 161 Maple Street in Glens Falls is currently without power after a fire in the adjacent building. In the interim, the tee-shirt making business has set up shop inside The Shirt Factory. Their retail store is not open, but they are open for pickup orders from 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. They specialize in screen-printing and embroidery, school/team uniforms, and the like.
Rachel’s Spice Cafe Will Close; Rachel Will Stay The “Spice & Tea Lady”
The Glens Falls Chronicle reports that Rachel’s Spice Cafe, whose spices have been touted by Rachael Ray, is closing on June 25. A variety of reasons, including but not limited to COVID, have led to this decision for owner Rachel Dutra. Dutra told the publication that she will be the “spice and tea lady” with a YouTube channel and online store.
Adirondack Theatre Festival Single-Show Tickets Are Now on Sale
Season passes have been on sale for a couple of months, and now you can purchase single-show tickets to the Adirondack Theatre Festival’s 2022 summer season, and they start at just $35. The lineup for this year is The Chinese Lady, June 15 – 26; The Hobbit, July 6 – 17; Last Stop On Market Street, July 28 – 31; and Mystic Pizza, August 5 – 7.
Glens Falls Market Center Project Informational Sessions to Be Held
The public is welcome to join Glens Falls City staff for two public information sessions on Monday, June 13 regarding the $10 million of the Downtown Revitalization Initiative funds planned for the City’s Market Center project.
The latest buzz on the project, which has been in the works for several years, is targeting the empty lot at 49 South Street. The informational sessions will get into the future of the former Sandy’s Clam Bar, the former Hot Shots building, and the former incubator building; all three buildings center around the aforementioned empty lot on South Street.
Both sessions will contain the same information. The first one will be at 2pm in the Christine McDonald Community Room at Crandall Library, and the second will be at the Park Theater at 6pm.
Some Building Code Changes Underway in Glens Falls
In related news, Glens Falls Mayor Bill Collins recently announced some updates to the Building and Codes Department that went into effect on Monday. Changes include making reporting code concerns easier for individuals, and a quicker response turnaround for potential violations.
You can read more details on the City’s site here: https://cityofglensfalls.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=700
Possible Retail/Office Space & Apartments Coming to West Glens Falls
Foothills Builders plans to construct a $1-million, mixed-use building in the West Glens Falls area of Queensbury, according to Foothills Business Daily.
Unfortunately for the developers, the Queensbury Planning Board ended up tabling the project until August, in part because they require more information on the building and there are traffic concerns, but also because they’re simply swamped. If the project goes through, it will be the biggest project for the construction company to date.
- Foothills Business Daily: Mixed use office/retail and apartments proposed for West Glens Falls
- Glens Falls Chronicle: Rachel’s Spice Cafe to close
- News 10 ABC: Info session coming for Glens Falls’ market project
- The Post Star: Mayor announces DRI public meets; Afternoon, evening sessions scheduled for Monday