Ideas for Decorating the Home & Where to Find Unique Holiday Decor
'Tis the season for decorating! We'll help you tap into your creative side this holiday season with themed decorating ideas and a couple of suggestions for where to purchase supplies locally.
Traditional? Country? Kid-Friendly? Decide on Your Look!
Choose a classy holiday look, a funky theme, a kid-friendly atmosphere, or another style this year. If you have a plan in place and colors in mind before you set out shopping, you are sure to have a more cohesive and attractive holiday display (and you won't be buying extra decorations that don't fit in). Here are some breakouts of theme ideas to get you started:
- Colors: Red and green
- Decor: Ornaments, lights, stockings, wreaths, snowflakes, poinsettia, stripes, candy canes, tinsel, garland
- Colors: White/off-white and gold/silver
- Decor: Candles, ornaments, white lights, vases, ribbons, simple wreaths, stars, bells, glitter
- Colors: Deep green, rustic neutrals, deep red
- Decor: Fabrics, evergreens, pinecones, candles, wooden ornaments, anything earthy or weathered
- Colors: Red, green and everything in between
- Decor: Holiday characters, garland, multi-colored lights, blinking lights, candy canes, homemade ornaments
- Colors: Dark blue, pink or purple
- Decor: Solid colored lights, polka dots, sparkles, big ribbons, fun patterns
Hate red, green, and everything glitter? No worries. It's your home and it's your money - decide on what works best for you, your color scheme, and your furniture and home decor.
Where to Get the Goods
Glenwood Manor Antiques
Glenwood Manor Antiques in Queensbury is the place to go for vintage decor, classic decorations, and gifts.
Walker's Home, Farm & Tack
Walker's Home, Farm & Tack in Fort Ann has a treasure trove of fun holiday decor, and you'll definitely be able to pick up a few gift items while you're at it.
Target at Aviation Mall is a great place to start to pick up the basics you'll need like classic wreaths, traditional ornaments, and holiday lights.