The Open Door Mission is a Christian ministry that has been providing hot meals and other services and help to the poor and homeless in the Greater Glens Falls area since 1991.
The Open Door is a Christian ministry. Our guests are among the poorest in our community. We feed them physically every day and offer them spiritual nourishment as well. We are there for them in their greatest joys and their greatest need.
We are open 9:00 - 6:00 each weekday, with the exception of Tuesday afternoon. We welcome anyone to join us for a nutritious meal.
- Offer 15 meals per week on-site and serve an average 1600 meals per month. We serve nutritious food, including a green salad and a fruit salad at every meal.
- Backpack Program - We work with 6 area schools to feed 190 children on the weekends. We provide meal items, juice and milk, fruit, snacks, breakfast items, etc.
- Emergency Food Pantry - the pantry is open Monday and Thursday afternoons between 1:00 and 4:00. On average, we serve 40 families each month, providing them with approximately 2,000 meals.
- We work with local agencies and businesses to connect our guests to the services they need. If your business would like to help, please contact Kim at 518-792-5900
We experience dangerously low temperatures here, in the Northeast! The Open Door runs a Code Blue Shelter to give the homeless a place of warmth and safety on these cold nights. The Code Blue season runs mid-November through March when the temperature is forecast for 20* or 12" of precipitation. We are open between 70-100 nights each season and serve an average of 14 people each night.
The Open Door is planning to start a permanent shelter which will not only give the homeless a place to stay but will also provide programs that will overcome some of the reasons our guests are homeless in the first place: substance abuse, broken relationships, lack of education, unemployment, hopelessness, etc.
Would you like to volunteer with us? We need people to work in the kitchen, clean, organize, office work, fundraisers, etc. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Milk and creamer
- Toiletries and cleaning products (especially shaving supplies)
- Individually packaged healthy snacks and breakfast items for the student Backpack Program
- Canned foods and non-perishables
- New socks and underwear
- Backpacks in good condition
- Bus tokens
- Cash donations